A Bundle is an Item representing a set of Items to be grouped and shipped together.
Creating Product Bundles is useful when you sell a set of items, but you also sell the items individually. Creating a bundle allows us to keep the inventory flexible so we can ship the items as they are sold individually, or as a set. In most cases, it's simplest to use Whiplash bundles as a replacement for your e-commerce platform's bundle feature/plugin.
How to create a Bundle
Bundles are their own item. Let's say you designed and developed a line of 3-pint glasses, which come in a bundle. In this case, there are 4 SKUs:
To set this up, we'll need to create a Bundle or set of these three cups with the following process:
Create the bundle item in your store or manually if you haven't already.
Navigate to the item representing your Bundle—something with a SKU like PINT-BUNDLE.
- Go to the Rules tab, and turn on the Bundle flag.
- Update the item.
- Search for items and add them to the Bundle.
- That's it! You can now sell both the individual units and the bundle without committing inventory into any one configuration.
Things to keep in mind:
- Inventory availability is determined by the item in the bundle with the lowest quantity available.
- When a bundle is ordered, it is converted into its children items automatically. The children items can be changed or removed, just like any order.
- If you adjust constituent items of a bundle, this will not affect the contents of any existing orders containing that bundle.
What about kitting?
If you're planning to sell a larger set of products in a kit, it can be more cost-effective to pre-pack the items into their shipping boxes. We'll store them that way. When they're ordered, you only pay the per package fee without any additional picks. This is also a great way to handle subscription boxes or complex packages with stickers or a precise packing order.
We charge an hourly rate for this service. Please reach out to our Customer Support team at: email@example.com if you'd like to start a Project to turn items into pre-packed kits!