Inserts are a type of Template. Right now, they require custom setup and are not possible in most circumstances.
Our print software does not allow us to send different-sized PDFs to different printers.
- Using different size paper means that orders with that paper size must be processed at a dedicated packing station. In most facilities, we're using every inch of space so an extra packing station is inflexible.
- Single Item Order Batching requires one packing station with multiple printers, and manual printing. This introduces significant opportunity for human error.
- Inserts are always Letter size. You can use HTML to create a working smaller file, but it is hacky and not consistent across printers.
- Using smaller paper only works for reliably one-page items. Packing Slips have an unbounded height, because Orders can have many Items. Our PDF generation relies on printer page splits, so we’d be placing content in “dead” areas of any page after 1.
- Inserts require close collaboration with the facility, and typically custom pricing. Right now, we're only using this feature in highly specialized operations; until we develop the feature further, it's usually cost-prohibitive.
- The Whiplash Team cannot assist with Template Customization. To use Templates, customers need in-house or hired HTML & CSS expertise.
- Dedicated packing station for each type of paper stock
- Batching and packing slip printing must be done at a different printer.
- Single Item Order Batches are discouraged.
Benefits to inline printing
- Inserts do not feature barcodes in the upper right, since they are not used for packing. They can be used in place of Packing Slips for a barcode-free experience.
- Inserts can be printed on different-sized paper. Batches must be created with a printer that's set up with Letter sized paper, but packing stations can be loaded with notecards instead.
Replace Packing Slips with Inserts
This is for cases where the customer doesn't want to include a Packing Slip.
- Set up a rule to "Skip Packingslip Print" for appropriate Orders.
- Add an Insert template with your desired content, or the Packing Slip content.
- Set up a rule to "Set Order Insert Template" to the one you chose for appropriate orders.
- Create Batches with Short Form Order Lists OR Batch with Robots.
- Proceed with Picking as normal.
- Initiate Pack, either by scanning the Order on the Short Form Order Scan Sheet or the Robot.
- The Insert will download and print as part of the Pack process.
Customer Routing Rules
Orders Search → Batch Results
Examples & Details
Order number notecard: https://app.getwhiplash.com/templates/7936/edit
Custom note notecard: https://app.getwhiplash.com/templates/8031/edit
Short Form Order Lists
This is how we can skip packing slip printing. Instead of scanning a barcode in the upper right of the packing slip, we're scanning a barcode on this sheet which is attached to the picklist.
Short form Order Lists combine the scancodes that would be on packing slips into a sheet to scan at the pack station.
You can find examples by making a Batches search with this filter:
Click "Re-print" to view an example.
This template for 5 x 7 notecards successfully prints when loaded according to this image. That file centers an Order Number on a print in this configuration.
Smaller Packing Slips
This almost works, but since we're relying on a printer using a letter-size PDF to paginate for us, we are going to put data where the printer doesn't expect it. This is currently under testing, but we would likely need to build a feature to support multi-page packing slips.