- Initial Sync and Best practices
- "Inventory Managed By" Settings
- Communicating Shipping Costs to Customers
- Shop Options
- Log in to your Whiplash account.
- In Whiplash, go to Preferences → Shops → Install Shopify
- Enter your Shopify URL and confirm the install.
- Select which Product Variants you'd like us to ship. Orders for these products will start flowing into Whiplash as they are paid for in Shopify.
- In Shopify, go to Settings → Checkout → Order Processing and select "Do not automatically fulfill any of the order's line items". Whiplash will mark orders fulfilled once they ship– marking them fulfilled prior to that will cancel the order in Whiplash.
- Still in Shopify → Settings → Checkout → Order Processing, select "Automatically archive the order" after it's been fulfilled and paid. This isn't strictly a requirement, but it will keep your store organized and easy to manage.
- In Shopify → Products → Edit (or Shopify → Products → Variants → Edit, if there are Variants), set Inventory managed by to "Shopify".
Initial Sync & Best Practices
Whiplash syncs the Available quantity per Item to Shopify every time it changes. Our goal is to complete the integration process without inflating inventory in Shopify, and allowing it to oversell. Generally, this means sync is not turned on until we have all the stock for an item.
- Archiving an order in Shopify before it's been shipped Cancels the order in Whiplash.
- In Shopify, when you select product variants to be fulfilled by Whiplash, they are created in Whiplash almost instantly
- When stock arrives at Whiplash, the quantity in your Shopify store will be updated. Whiplash does not send updates until product is received for the first time.
- If you're sending products to Whiplash that will not be sold in your Shopify store, you can Create them directly in Whiplash.
- For fully automated shipping: In Shopify, go to Settings → Payments and turn on "Automatically capture payment for orders".
If your orders aren't showing up in Whiplash, its most likely one of the following:
- Your orders are Authorized in Shopify, but not Paid
- Your product variants aren't set to be fulfilled by Whiplash
- Your product variants aren't set to require shipping
- The missing orders were created when the above product variant settings were incorrect
- Your orders are Pending Fulfillment
Communicating shipping costs to your customers
You have a number of options when communicating shipping options and costs to your customers.
If you are keeping things simple—for example, Free Shipping or $5 Flat-Rate Shipping —we'll by default ship the cheapest method available. If you are going this route, you can also specify what shipping method corresponds to something like "Free Shipping" here.
If you would like to charge customers and display this info during checkout, Shopify does a good job of explaining your options here.
For more information from Shopify, read Understanding Shipping.
Sync & Locations Settings
Facts about syncing
- Whiplash syncs to one Location, which is owned by our App in Shopify.
- We only send a new quantity to Shopify when the quantity changes.
- By default, we sync for the first time as each Item is Received for the first time.
|Automatically Sync Inventory Levels (Global Sync)||Preferences → General → Inventory||Only when Item is set to Process Orders. Learn more about this setting here.|
|Sync Inventory (Item Sync)||Item Details → Rules||Customer default. Override this to change behavior for a particular Item.|
|Allow Shopify to request inventory levels hourly (Fetch Stock)||Preferences → General → Inventory||Off. Activate this to cause Shopify to request a sync once an hour, instead of syncing every time inventory changes.|
|Bulk Action||Any Items Search → Bulk Action → Sync Inventory||On Demand. This will cause everything in the search to sync with all shops once.|
|Sandbox sync||For sandbox.getwhiplash.com accounts only. Preferences → Shops → Shopify integration → "Settings"||Off. If this is a Sandbox shop and you're OK with funky inventory levels, activate this and we'll sync like normal.|
There are two baseline strategies for the initial full item catalogue sync. The Instant Transfer means Whiplash takes full control over inventory quantities at the flip of a switch; Rolling Transfer means Whiplash syncs slowly over time as we receive inventory.
|Setting name||Instant Transfer strategy||Rolling Transfer strategy|
|Automatically Sync Inventory Levels (Global Sync)||
Switch to either Always or Only when Item is set to Process Orders when it's time to get in sync.
|Only when Item is set to Process Orders. We'll take over the quantity for each item when we first receive it.|
|Sync Inventory (Item Sync)||Customer Default.||Customer Default.|
|Bulk Action||Once we've received all the inventory for the SKUs in the search.||Not required.|
|Allow Shopify to request inventory levels hourly (Fetch Stock)||Off.||Off.|
Item Catalogue Import
|Fulfill Items for this fulfillment Service||Preferences → General → Inventory||
Shopify/Manual. Read more about Shopify Locations here.
This is how we determine whether to import or ignore an Item.
Settings in Shopify
|Inventory Managed By||Shopify article||
When Inventory is Managed by Whiplash, Whiplash will only sync adjustments. This requires additional settings in the Shops tab and usage of Fetch Stock.
|Fulfilled By||Shopify article||
For Items to import, this must match the "Fulfill items for this fulfillment service" Shop Setting in Whiplash.
Accessed via Preferences → Shops tab → "Settings" on a Shopify integration.
Refund line items when they’re removed from an Order. When a line item is decremented or removed from an Order, we will trigger a refund in Shopify.
This option reads "Create an open Shopify fulfillment when orders are batching in Whiplash". When it's activated you will need to re-authorize the Whiplash app to grant us permissions to create open Fulfillments.
When an Order is Batched, the status of the Order in Shopify is updated to "In progress" as shown.
Enable this option to send item serial numbers to Shopify when an order is fulfilled in Whiplash.
With this setting active, captured Serial Numbers will populate as "Additional details" in Shopify when Orders are shipped.